Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why is it...

...when as a mother you feel guilty leaving your husband home with the kids to "babysit" (I mean "parent") while you have things to do? Why do we as mothers have to plan our schedules around when our husbands can be home. On the other end when the husbands they come home and say, "by the way I'm going to fight night tonight" OR "I'm going to the gym after work". They don't even worry about who is going to be home to watch the kids, they just assume it is the wife's responsibility. When I have something come up, I always make sure Jeff is going to be home before I can commit to anything. Does anyone else feel that way?

Well, this is how I used to feel...until I got called to be YW president. Some of you who have had this calling can sympathize with me. I SERIOUSLY have the best husband ever! I have firesides some Sunday nights, activities every Tuesday night, presidency meetings every so often (usually in the evening because that seems to be the best time to meet), I had to go to a YW broadcast Saturday night. There are also 7:30am Ward Council meetings every other Sunday where Jeff has to get all 3 kids ready for church alone. Not to mention all the Relief Society activities that have been going on lately, probably one every other week. We are having a "West to Zion" Trek this year for Youth Conference and so every other Saturday we have training meetings. Last Saturday I was gone ALL day at a Trek meeting and then the YW leaders got together to do this craft for all the girls for New Beginnings (which is this Tuesday and I will be SO happy when it is over so I can stop worrying about it). We were having some people over later that night to say goodbye to Susie and Ryan who just moved to New York for three months and I came home at 4:15 (people were coming at 4:30) and the house was spotless and things were all chopped up for our hamburgers! I feel like 80% of the time Jeff is putting all 3 kids to bed by himself. I have been feeling really bad lately for leaving him ALL the time with this sometimes stressful challenging task. Should I feel bad? When I guiltily tell him of ONE MORE THING that is going on, he always replys "No problem" or "Go ahead I am a big boy, I can handle it" OR "Don't feel bad, it's not like you are going out with your friends all the time, it is all church related". I guess that is why when you get called into a big calling, they call your spouse in with you to see if they will support their wife in this calling. Jeff has been a huge support to me. He always tells me that when he comes home from work, he wants to see and be with the kids and putting them to bed is his time with them. I am so greatful for a wonderful, supportive husband.

Last week Cody was complaining that his knee was sore so I looked at it and it was swollen. He didn't injure it or anything. Then we sat down to eat dinner and he broke out in a rash. We gave him some Advil and sent him to bed after dinner. Then the next day he had some little red spots still but they had gone down significantly. I took him in to see the dermatologist that I work for and he said it is a viral thing and took a throat swab to see if maybe he had strep throat or something. Then later that night his other knee started swelling up and he broke out in a worse rash. So I thought it was weird that his knee was swelling so I took him to the Children's Hospital. Five hours later we saw a doctor (of course the rash had cleared and his knee wasn't swollen anymore - thanks to Advil and Benadryl) and they basically told me he had hives and they didn't know what was causing it. On Saturday he broke out in rash again as well as Sunday. Saturday he was also complaining of another unexplained issue so on Monday I took him to my family doctor. She ordered some blood work and it came back positive for Strep.

This does not happen very often. I found these matching jammies for both girls. With their size difference a lot of times they don't make clothes that match in toddler and bigger kids clothes sizes. Thought I'd share. (I think Mylee looks a little bit like me in this picture instead of 100% HUDSON...she still looks a LOT like Jeff in this picture but I can also see some Gibb in her).

7 comments:

tlr said...

Oh I know the thing about the husbands, watching, parenting! I have a lot of people I know how have the same conversation. Scott is really good too about his time with the kids, and if I have something going on it's all good. He is the one in YM's so I have to do Tuesdays, but he does most other nights. My calling is primary and he ALWAYS has L on those days. it's great when your hubby is there and supportive. Hope it all works out with NB, and you can have some down time!

Gibber said...

Speaking as a Husband, it really is nice to feel appreciated when Dad does want to help and let mom do her thing. Let's hear it for the boys!

I can see you in the Mylee picture but still plenty of Jeff.

The Bullknitter said...

I think it is so cute that Jadin and Cody sit beside each other in sharing time, and sometimes hold hands.

Nancy said...

I sympathize with you so much. That is so good that Jeff supports you, i can't imagine doing a calling like that without help. Props to Jeff.

julied said...

really? jeff? didnt know he had it in him. jks. he is kind of a softy but likes to show off how tough he is. maybe it's just that he is now a dad and has a wife that he is head over heels for. i guess I just never get to see that side of him. haha
ps. the jammies are so cute

Oler Family said...

You are one busy girl! What a guy Jeff is. That is so cute that he had the house clean and the hamburger topping cut up when you got home! I love the matching jammies!

Carla McDaniel said...

it is a busy calling. it was a crazy time for us when I was YW's president. the support and the help mean so much...
i felt the same way as you began your blog until I was called to that calling...