A few days ago our friends Dave and Ashley stopped by with a present for our kids....
This lovely motorbike. The kids were soooo excited about it they went and got the motorcycle helmets to ride it. I think they will kill themselves on it so until Jeff has time to go out with them and teach them how to ride it, I'm glad it's not working. It needs to be charged! Don't they look like bobble heads with these helmets on?
Jaden LOVES school. Some days I wish I put her in afternoon kindergarten but it is worth it for her to be in her friends class, which all 3 of the girls in her primary class that live in our community are! Last night we went to a friends for dinner and by the time we got home and got the kids in bed it was 9:30. Needless to say 7:00 came pretty fast this morning for Jaden.So I decided to put Jaden on the bus. At first I was really nervous about it but then decided that it's not worth it to drive her 2 times every day. The bus fees are only $165 for the year and it would cost me at least that in one month to drive her. Anyways, Friday was her first day of taking the bus. We were walking to the stop (which is only a block and a half away) and the bus pulls up...we almost missed it. Jaden hopped off the stroller and bolted towards the bus. On she got, found her friend and sat down and waved at me through the window. Not even a little bit scared. She was SO excited to ride the big yellow school bus. Her bus going to school has K through 4th grade kids on it and coming home it is just the kindergarteners. There were quite a few kids waiting for the bus in the morning but then when I went to pick her up, there was no one waiting at the stop except for one little boy with his backpack on and his grandpa. My first thought was "Great...I missed the bus and this little boy is just taking his time to walk home." I looked at my watch and I was a couple minutes early and there is no way the bus should be early dropping kids off the first day especially with first time riders that don't know where to get off. So asked the man that was there at the stop if a bus had come already to drop off kids and he said no and he had been there for 10 minutes. So I felt a little relieved. Then I found out this little boy was waiting for the bus to pick him up so I thought they would be waiting for the same bus. A bus came, picked up the little boy but my Jaden wasn't on the bus. I thought maybe she got off on the wrong stop. WHERE WAS MY LITTLE GIRL?!? The boy's bus driver told me that the bus is going to be late...but how late?!? Her stop time is supposed to be at 11:38. Finally at 12:00 I started walking home to call the school (I forgot to bring my cell phone with me). I had all these terrible thoughts running through my head as to what happened, and that Jaden would never want to take the bus again. Just as I was heading home, the bus pulled up and there she was. The bus was almost 25 minutes late!
Then today, I went for a walk with the kids and my friend Susie while Jaden was at school. We were walking around the pond by the bus stop and I looked at my watch and realized it was time to start walking faster as the bus is scheduled to pull up any minute. (The bus was 20 minutes late again on Monday, 10 minutes late on Tuesday, and about 7 minutes late on Wednesday). Well, I looked up and the bus pulled up to the stop so I left Cody behind on his bike with Susie and started running. The bus sat there for a minute and then started taking off. Luckily I was running towards the bus as it was driving towards me so I jumped out and flagged her down. Of course, the bus was on time, the one time I wasn't.
On another note, Jaden said the funniest thing the other day. She was playing downstairs and I was upstairs with the baby. I think I had asked her to grab something and bring it up to me or asked her to do something. She says "Agh...why is it so hard being a teenager?" I burst out laughing. Then she realized she was funny so she kept saying it. Do you think she watches a little too much Family Channel? With shows too old for her?
7 comments:
Your post totally made me laugh. I'm sure it will be just as traumatic for my when my first kid starts riding the bus. Hopefully it starts to run a little smoother.
I am still debating about the whole bus thing for Tanner next year. Why am I so nervous...I did it as a kid. Something about a big city with so many people just makes me a little more nervous I guess. At least Jaden is excited to do it.
Cody should ride that bike on our next outing then we'd have to run to keep up to him. love the teenager comment. can't wait to see Jaden's new do
Welcome to the world of relying on Public Transit. I don't blame you for being nervous. Two years ago, as a 26 year old law student I was nervous about relying on the blue limo for the first time ever.
It only gets worse in the winter when the timing of the bus becomes even more unpredictable and waiting for it is not pleasant at all.
25 mins late? i wonder what the winter has in store? yikes! good luck with that. i debated putting austin on the bus, but i just couldn't do it. now he's not at his designated school so i HAVE to drive him. ok, jaden's teenager thing is hilarious!!! yah, family channel doesn't seem to have enough KID shows. they're more like "tween" shows... oh and have fun with the bike! they look so cute with the huge helmets on ;)
Ahh, takes me back. Now I just send 'em out the door and yell "See ya". If the bus is late, it's just a few extra minutes of peace and quiet.
I'm having so much fun reading these stories today. Oh, I love the life of being a mom!
Post a Comment