Thursday, May 24, 2007

Now I'm Hating the Weather


I can't believe it is snowing outside again. I just dejunked my clostets of all the snow boots and winter clothes, and then my kids woke up this morning and wanted to go outside and play in the snow.




Here's a picture of Jaden and I planting the flowers last week. Now because of the snow and cold weather, I may be digging those ones up and planting new ones depending if they make it through the cold. We'll see how they do. I learned a lesson last year. If you look back to my blog last July there is a picture of Jaden in a cowboy hat and jean skirt. If you look at my flowers, you'll see that I totally overpowered my planter with flowers (and that picture was taken at the beginning of the summer...they only grew bigger as the summer went on). They spread so much and grew tall and covered anything else that I had planted in them...then those other plants died because they never saw the sun. I had comments all the time on how beautiful my flower bed was and I must have a "green thumb" but really I had no clue what I was doing. So, this year I spaced them out a little more and got a variety of flowers instead of all the same flowers. Costco has great prices at their garden center. But unless you have a big garden, there is not enough space to put them all in. So I went with my sister and we bought a few different kinds of flowers and split them. I'm excited to see how my garden will look this summer!!!

We missed out. Both mine and Jeff's families went out to the cabins for the long weekend. We decided that we didn't want to go because it was 5 hours of driving each way just for a couple of days out there. I checked the weather and it wasn't supposed to be super nice (and the price of gas is ridiculous) so we opted not to go. Well, they all came home and talked about how nice it was. It was hot on Sunday and Monday. A few of my siblings went waterskiing in the cold water and had a lot of fun. Instead we were left at home, supposed to be working on the back fence gates, but it was freezing cold and raining all weekend so we got nothing done. We also wanted to go to Calaway Park but it was too cold to go. There was one good thing that came from not going...there is a guy that Jeff works with that was giving away his piano for free. Jeff jumped on the offer and went and picked it up from his house on Saturday. It is an upright piano that is really old, but in decent shape. He said it was super heavy (it is an all-steel frame) and it wiped him out for the rest of the day trying to carry it with 3 other people. Anyways, we squished it into our tiny house and I love it. It needs to be refinished but I think we got a steal of a deal!!!! I have a family friend who is a piano tuner/refinisher and he said it is a well-built piano. It just needs a tune. I'm excited to polish up my piano playing now that I have my own piano to practice on!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I know doesn't this weather suck. Oh and I'm so jealous about your piano. I love old uprights and they are absolutely beautiful refinished.

tlr said...

Looking good! Too bad about the crapy weather!
The kids are growing so much...

Stephanie M Larsen said...

Your lawn looks gorgeous. I've been wanting to start a garden for years now, but it seems like I'm always "big with child" or have a newborn around. I'm so happy to not get huge in the summer with this pregnancy. Winter seems much more suitable. Hope your garden survived the odd snow day.